Welcome to forum Join us by registering now!
  • Login:
Ads
Dear user, please do not block ads, they help to maintain website.

Thread Rating:
  • 67 Votes - 3.03 Average
Cube+ microphone issues
October-20-2015, 16:26
Cube+ microphone issues
Got my Cube+ yesterday. Not really happy with the mic's performance. The sound of the videos is very quiet. Is that a hardware defect? Or will there be firmware updates?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
October-22-2015, 09:26
RE: Cube+ microphone issues
I'm having the exact same issues. The microphone barely hears anything at a normal speaking level, even when close. I can't imagine this is supposed to be the quality of the audio because it is inaudible. It might as well just be a camera... You're having the same issues?
October-23-2015, 13:14
Wow, that's a great comparison video!
So, did Polaroid support say to return the camera or was it your decision? I just need to know if I have to return it, too or if it's something that can be fixed by updating the firmware.
October-23-2015, 13:34
(October-23-2015 13:14)BlackyRoss Wrote:  Wow, that's a great comparison video!
So, did Polaroid support say to return the camera or was it your decision? I just need to know if I have to return it, too or if it's something that can be fixed by updating the firmware.

I have a good number of cams, especially the POLC3, and to hear a night & day difference, I do not accept this as normal. I quickly emailed, and as well phone called the support. they insisted it is a codec issue that I did not have QuickTime or VLC,

I said requested a return, they pushed a 10% restocking fee. I then requested an exchange, shipping on me

I requested a new one. Now if the new one is the exact same thing we all have a trouble, they pushed the camera to market way to fast, and firmware will be only to raise the DB level will not take care of the muffled sound.

I watch out for clips and yet I see raw sound clips, and sure enough there was one now removed..

Yes was my own decision.

FISH
October-23-2015, 13:51
Just got off the phone with the technical support. They said that it's a known issue and they believe the firmware update should fix it, as the hardware (mic and casing) that's used in Cube plus is identical to the one in Cube. They told me the firmware update should be released within the next week. Hopefully, they will release it in time and won't delay it as it was with the camera release. I'll post an update on this as soon as I get the updated firmware.
October-24-2015, 07:18
(October-23-2015 13:51)BlackyRoss Wrote:  Just got off the phone with the technical support. They said that it's a known issue and they believe the firmware update should fix it, as the hardware (mic and casing) that's used in Cube plus is identical to the one in Cube. They told me the firmware update should be released within the next week. Hopefully, they will release it in time and won't delay it as it was with the camera release. I'll post an update on this as soon as I get the updated firmware.

I find that funny. they never mentioned that to me who did you speak to? I spoke to Eric. if this is the case and I sent my cam in for no apparent reason. I do not think you can fix Miuffle. I again believe you can fix Decibal. this will suck if you increase hissing?

well I now have to wait and see.
October-28-2015, 12:08
I've got the Cube+ 2 days ago and am also having the same issue. I tried to update the firmware from the site but it doesn't seem to flash it (maybe because it is for the original Cube?) The firmware is under the support tab near the bottom on their website: https://www.polaroidcube.com/shop/polaroid-cube-plus

I got it on Amazon and requested an exchange, but looks like it will not fix the problem? Has the new firmware been released yet?
October-28-2015, 16:39
No.

FW was mentioned to be released after Nov 2015. its Oct 2015.Support page should have been noted not with firmware from a cube we (I) don't want to see you brick your cam.. and here you did what? not good.
Yes we got a bad apple. (not you0 the Cube+
November-24-2015, 10:36
Have you received the replacement unit yet from Polaroid? Have they figured out the audio issue with the Cube+?

I'm thinking of getting the HTC Re instead due to the audio issue with the Cube+...
November-29-2015, 08:24
(November-24-2015 10:36)fsjon Wrote:  Have you received the replacement unit yet from Polaroid? Have they figured out the audio issue with the Cube+?

I'm thinking of getting the HTC Re instead due to the audio issue with the Cube+...

I kept requesting updates. and they came back and said , the camera can be sent back, use it, till new firmware fixes the sound. or we'll load it, test it, and send it out in a few weeks time?

if and when I get the cam back, the first thing I will be doing is.

unboxing it Live and if there is a difference in audio, I will be requesting Satasfaction
December-07-2015, 16:39 (This post was last modified: December-07-2015 16:39 by fsjon.)
New review on Amazon by a user yesterday (Dec 6) and it appears they have fixed the audio issue, or at least the reviewer got a later production batch with the audio fixed.

http://www.amazon.ca/Polaroid-Lifestyle-...aroid+cube

Anyone here can confirm this? The reviewer did say it can record at 2k, so they did not mistakenly review the original Cube but posted it in the Cube+ page...
December-08-2015, 19:34
(December-07-2015 16:39)fsjon Wrote:  New review on Amazon by a user yesterday (Dec 6) and it appears they have fixed the audio issue, or at least the reviewer got a later production batch with the audio fixed.

http://www.amazon.ca/Polaroid-Lifestyle-...aroid+cube

Anyone here can confirm this? The reviewer did say it can record at 2k, so they did not mistakenly review the original Cube but posted it in the Cube+ page...

confirmed by Polaroid not me yet Lol will say it is a cover up.
December-08-2015, 19:42 (This post was last modified: December-08-2015 19:51 by Rybaczewski.)
TODAY! I called Polaroid. I was told to update the app - this did not work on my iPad, but a friend came over with an android phone and was able to download the app, connect the camera, and get the update. The sound was louder, but still distorted and scratchy. I'm returning my camera to Amazon and seriously thinking of getting a plain old Cube.

Just noticed two things...

#1 - Amazon only offered a refund, not an exchange

#2 - the Polaroid site is selling cameras - not forwarding you to Amazon
December-08-2015, 20:27
you won't be disappointed in the C3 that is the Cube. I find for me the files are harder to work with. they arenot a newer format. and that goes for the cube as well the Cube+.

I do not know why you had difficulty with loading it, would not a puter work.
December-09-2015, 18:00
Just like that released dec 9 2015 newer firmware

andj ust gotten finished emailing the people at polaroid LMEAO
December-11-2015, 14:35 (This post was last modified: December-11-2015 14:43 by Rybaczewski.)
Just received my "new" Cube+ direct from Polaroid and it has the same sound issues. I will get the updates and keep everyone posted.

I hate to have to snd it back - the video and pics are just so good!

I love the little thing.
December-11-2015, 23:38
Personally it is a full refund than lost footage, stay tuned. L ost a lot of good footage tonight due to camera not doing its job constant red light, fully charged, and with a power bank. I trust my gopro blind folded Lol
December-21-2015, 16:42
Bye bye POLCP in transet to Polaroid.
January-03-2016, 21:44
Just glanced through the comments about the Cube plus on Amazon - looks like there are still problems with the audio being quiet. Some comments say "no problem with the audio" but I'd be willing to bet those people don't understand or know the difference between what they have and what is correct. Not putting those people down, just saying they don't know.
January-05-2016, 14:13
(January-03-2016 21:44)Rybaczewski Wrote:  Just glanced through the comments about the Cube plus on Amazon - looks like there are still problems with the audio being quiet. Some comments say "no problem with the audio" but I'd be willing to bet those people don't understand or know the difference between what they have and what is correct. Not putting those people down, just saying they don't know.

totally agree.

Old stock I bet
January-12-2016, 09:48
I just got the cube plus today - the microphone recording is horrible (muffled, background hiss) even with latest firmware . I'm very disappointed, i really wanted to use this camera but it's almost unusable. It seems to me like it's a manufacturing defect, i have no option but to send it back Sad
January-12-2016, 16:41
(January-12-2016 09:48)limesoft Wrote:  I just got the cube plus today - the microphone recording is horrible (muffled, background hiss) even with latest firmware . I'm very disappointed, i really wanted to use this camera but it's almost unusable. It seems to me like it's a manufacturing defect, i have no option but to send it back Sad

Send it back. Demand a good one!
January-12-2016, 17:23
(January-12-2016 16:41)Rybaczewski Wrote:  Send it back. Demand a good one!

Do you think it's a bad batch issue? I'm concerned is just a problem that hasn't been resolved properly by Polaroids still.. they tried via a software update but no confirmation about hardware fix
January-12-2016, 17:52
(January-12-2016 17:23)limesoft Wrote:  
(January-12-2016 16:41)Rybaczewski Wrote:  Send it back. Demand a good one!

Do you think it's a bad batch issue? I'm concerned is just a problem that hasn't been resolved properly by Polaroids still.. they tried via a software update but no confirmation about hardware fix

I returned mine and got a different one. Not any better. So, I sent it back and got a third one, which is fine - didn't even download the updates! So, keep trying until you get a good one and the rewards will be plenty!
January-12-2016, 19:14
(January-12-2016 17:52)Rybaczewski Wrote:  I returned mine and got a different one. Not any better. So, I sent it back and got a third one, which is fine - didn't even download the updates! So, keep trying until you get a good one and the rewards will be plenty!

I sent an email to their support, let's see what they say (if anything).. i'd hate to be unlucky again and again getting replacement units that are not working as they should.. the audio is truly horrible, what a shame
January-12-2016, 20:53
I just got a chance to update my camera with a new firmware, which was supposed to fix the sound recording problem. The sound is now recorded with a strong background noise. Apparently, the firmware just amplifies the entire captured sound. This is not how the camera is supposed to handle the sound. I will demand replacement or refund from Polaroid.
January-13-2016, 05:10
(January-12-2016 20:53)BlackyRoss Wrote:  I just got a chance to update my camera with a new firmware, which was supposed to fix the sound recording problem. The sound is now recorded with a strong background noise. Apparently, the firmware just amplifies the entire captured sound. This is not how the camera is supposed to handle the sound. I will demand replacement or refund from Polaroid.

Yeah almost certainly it is a manufacturing problem with the microphone. I noticed that if I leave the sd card door on the back of the cube open, the sound is a bit clearer, which makes me think the mic is blocked inside the body and there's no clear air access to it.. maybe drilling a tiny hole with a needle where the microphone slit is can help, but I don't want to risk it (yet).

I'm just not sure it is worth getting a replacement, I can't find information if polaroid have actually resolved the hardware issue (and not via software update)
January-13-2016, 11:59
For anyone interested, I just got response from Polaroid on microphone issue:

"Thanks for your email. Unfortunately due to the design the speaker is a bit muffled. A firmware upgrade got released to solve this but it may still be a bit muffled. If you are not happy please return to place or purchase."

In other words - if you don't like it, return it Smile
January-13-2016, 13:40
(January-13-2016 11:59)limesoft Wrote:  For anyone interested, I just got response from Polaroid on microphone issue:

"Thanks for your email. Unfortunately due to the design the speaker is a bit muffled. A firmware upgrade got released to solve this but it may still be a bit muffled. If you are not happy please return to place or purchase."

In other words - if you don't like it, return it Smile

No restocking fees right. Return it get a gopro session trust me you'll love it
January-13-2016, 14:06 (This post was last modified: January-13-2016 14:07 by limesoft.)
The go pro has sub par video quality (when compared to the cube + not nearly as sharp), and this is the most important thing for me.. i think it's overpriced for the video output, even though it ticks all the other boxes

Maybe time for DIY - looks quite easy to open the cube, and maybe improve the microphone opening... just need the courage to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TSGhBJLFQs

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies Views: Last Post
  Sound peaking issues gunga75 1 702 January-30-2017 09:14
Last Post: gunga75
  Cube+ WiFi Issues ff8421 1 1,933 December-25-2016 09:08
Last Post: boppygaming
  Polaroid Cube Mic Issues shiks16 0 907 July-08-2016 15:54
Last Post: shiks16
  Polaroid Cube Mic Issues shiks16 0 601 July-08-2016 15:54
Last Post: shiks16

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

All rights reserved. Do not copy our content without permission.
We are not responsible for a content published by users.

To contact us by mail use: 4023 Kennett Pike 52943 | Wilmington | DE | 19807